Once we got our gear set up we got our timing chips, and they had volunteers write our numbers on our arms and calves. The girl crouched down to write it on his right calf, and he lifted his shorts all the way up, thinking she was writing on his thigh. She had such a startled look when she got an eyeful of white thigh. After that we headed over to the pool. We staked out a spot for our bags then settled in and watched everyone else. It was so cold we were shivering. They finally got the kids race started then, then they started calling for swimmers. You lined up according to how fast you swam becasue it was a staggered start. We had no idea so we just wandered over when it looked like we were towards the end. People just kept lining up behind us and we debated that we were too far in front, but we decided to just stay where we were, and figured people would pass us if they needed to. Taryn got in first and after her first two lanes, the announcer made a joke that there would be a special prize if you didn't get your hair wet, because she was swimming with her whole head above water. I got in and got through my first lap okay, then everyone started cathcing up to me. I felt like I was dragging my feet, and couldn't get a full breathe. I started feeling panicky and thought there is no way I can do this, "but Dad was behind me and said, "You're fine, just keep moving, and try to swim the next one." I felt okay then and knew I woulod just have to try my best. I kept trying different strokes, but if I did the back stroke I would veer all over the lane, and if I tried under water I just couldn't hold my breath. We did finally finish and hurried to change and get on the bikes.
The race course started on state street, so we were nervous about getting hit by a car. Taryn started out in front and she was so funny to watch because she looked like an old lady out for a leisurly ride. Everyone else was bent low over the handle bars but she was sitting straight up, just looking around at everything. We finally had to pass her because she was not moving to quickly. After the big downhill, I was in front and I didn't know if I was supposed to stay on the road or turn onto the bike trail and the volunteer just stood there with his arms crossed saying, "Road, road." I started swerving and about caused a crash before I figured out that meant stay on the road. We started up the hill and I got confused about gears and ended up too high and had to jump off my bike before I tipped sideways, and almost caused another pile-up. Taryn and I had to walk our bikes up, but Dad made it up both times. He hung back with us, probably because he knew we had no idea what we were doing. He kept encouraging me to just keep my legs moving, so I just repeating that to myself.
We finally started the run after a very long wait for the bathroom. Taryn and my dad were able to keep up much quicker pace than me, but I just wanted to keep running. My dad slowed down a bit and ran with me until we caught up to Taryn on the second lap, when she stopped to put trash in the garbage can. I just kept running, and only had to stop once when I got a cramp in my shoulder. As I crossed the street the police officer and volunteer directing traffic motioned me to keep coming, but the car didn't stop and bumped me, then she just stayed stopped in the middle of the road. I had to run around the car! The last leg through the park seemed to go on for a long time, but Taryn and Dad were waiting to cheer me on at the end. It was pretty cool to hear them announce my name, it meant I had actually finished a triathlon.
It was so neat to do this with my family. We weren't out to race or get great times, we just wanted to finish, and we all did that. I would not have been able to do it without their encouragment and support. It was neat to do something that I would have never considered myself able to do, and it gave me motivation to always challenge myself, and to remember how much can be accomplished with love and support.
No comments:
Post a Comment