Gray and more grayWe are ready for you to come out again. Even though we have had plenty of wintertime fun, the lack of color leaves me feeling quite uninspired to sit down and write about it and more like doing this:
True happiness is:
-Opening the door and having these 2 there, knowing that even 4,000 miles isn't too much to ask of them
-The giddiness I felt knowing that she would be here soon after because a sister in your life is one of a kind
-Having someone to listen to every story and marvel over every move your kids make with the same adoration and unabashed enjoyment that you do, and then take over the not so fun stuff like potty breaks and bedtime for you
-Princesses, who don't mind that their dress is from a garage sale, their castle is a 3 bedroom rental, their carriage is a minivan. In our world they are truly royalty!
-A Thanksgiving dinner cooked in my own kitchen with my Mom. Kind of a right of passage, modern day girl growing up kind of thing. Very cool. And lots of GRAVY!
-Chocolate and Berkley. The only thing that can get her binky out of her mouth
-A daddy to keep you warm and safe when it is cold outside
-Finding someone who shares my name who might even be more moody and temperamental than I am. At least I never actually bit someone who bugged me.
-Someone to keep you safe on the couch. Braelyn spent many hours including sleeping on this couch with Taryn. And even when she got sick to her stomach one night, she still had an aunt to look out for her
There were so may more things like late-night talks, trips to McDonalds, having Dad take the girls to look at toys so we could grocery shop in peace, jumping on the trampoline, crazy Waffle House waitresses, Dad telling me I look skinny (he is the only one who sounds believable), having Mom reassure me I am not crazy/and or not going to ruin my kids for life from the bad mommy mistakes I make, antique shopping, having someone to talk to while I put up my Christmas tree, bouncing on the air mattress, hearing the girls Oohh and ahh at the Christmas lights, hearing Dad Oohh and ahh at the Toyota Factory, playing dress-ups, eating food I didn't have to cook, sleeping in while someone else gets up with my little early birds, and lots of kisses and hugs and even more good stories here: http://robertsrap.blogspot.com/2010/11/3364-miles.html
(Someone should show me how to properly place a link...)
The good-byes are still hard, and there seem to be more tears at each one, but it is wonderful to know that there will be another hello again. Our adventures over the past 2 years have been priceless, we are learning and growing in ways we never could have guessed, but I am always grateful for the feeling that comes from being with family. It makes me feel a little more grounded, a little more secure and makes the world seem a little bit smaller and a little less uncertain. Gray skies may be all around but I am sure the sun will visit again, but in the meantime I don't think it matters cause it's pretty bright from where I am sitting.
You made me cry, but that isn't very hard to do. We are counting our sleeps until you get here.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I just wait in anticipation for your next blog entry. I just love it when you write! can't wiat to have you here!
ReplyDeleteOh Heather, how did you know I needed to hear such a beautiful reminder today? From your very first post till now, I have loved the way you write, especially about your sweet girls and motherhood in general. Great post! I clicked on each and every picture to enlarge them. I hate when my kids read over my sholder...but they do and always love to read about you guys. I always think you look thin, gorgeous in fact. It's funny though, your Dad never tells me I look skinny. Huh, I'll have to mention that to him.
ReplyDeletethat was a beautiful tribute, our parents and family do put things into focus don't they. I for one am glad you're here in this little place in the world, I need you. I'm glad you're my friend. pretty please ask the sun to come out for me too!
ReplyDelete