Sunday, June 7, 2009

Memorial Weekend

For Memorial weekend we got to go out to the cabin for the long weekend. It was wonderful to be out there again, and we were looking forward to some time outside. There is gravel along the walkway and when we got out Brae said, "Ooh, it's really rockilly here." The weather was nice when we got there so we quickly unpacked the car and headed for the 4-wheelers. We stopped first at my grandma's ranch house and played on the tire swing. I always love to go there, it holds many wonderful memories for me. We went up Rhodes Canyon and had to stop and hike after we hit a huge snow bank. Braelyn couldn't remember where she slept and was very worried about sleeping in the room alone until I unzipped her mattress and showed her the bed. We walked down to the river and Braelyn and Kevin spent an hour throwing rocks in while Berkley sat in the gravel and sucked on pebbles. The next morning was gorgeous as well and we headed out for another ride after breakfast. The girls have really loved going for rides this year, and they both usually end up asleep before we get home. Kevin's family was joining us that afternoon and things got busy once they arrived. They had rented 4-wheelers so the boys took a ride as soon as they got unpacked, and then the girls got to go after dinner. I was ready for bed as soon as my little ones went down, so I was grateful I had earplugs when the they started a movie at 10:00. Berkley wanted to rise with the sun, so we got some playing in outside before the rain started. It's so beautiful up there when it rains, that I can't complain about being stuck inside. We had fun playing card games and nintendo, and decided to try fishing. The ride up to the pond was very wet, the rain was coming off my hat and just soaking everything. Braelyn insisted on riding up with me and she was so tough she didn't complain once. Kevin was the only one to catch anything that day and we were all frozen stiff by the time we got back. I was so happy for a warm shower that night. Sunday was another drizzly day, but I got to sneak off with Braelyn for another ride across from Grandma's cabin. She fell asleep so I took advantage of it and stopped to take lots of pictures. By dinner that night I was a little overwhelmed by all the "hostess" duties, and really tired of cleaning up messes so it's wonderful that you can just walk away and feel miles away from everything up there. We even got a campfire started after finally digging out some dry wood. Monday morning everyone left early, and after another beautiful 4-wheeler ride, we spent the rest of the day cleaning up. I was exhausted, and realized how much work my mom puts into having people at the cabin. I think next time I will definitely assign out chores, (or charge a housekeeping fee) so we don't get stuck doing everything. I'm so glad we are lucky enough to have such a beautiful place to go and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment