Sunday, October 4, 2009

Playgroup

We have a great playgroup with our ward here, and both the girls and I are so excited to have an outing to look forward to every week. They do such fun activities, and it has been great to see some of the town we live in.

The first week we went to the GSU Wildife Center. I was very nervous because this is a refuge set up for birds and reptiles. Two of my least favorite things, and they said many of the birds were able to just wander. Eeek! I do not like being near birds, but this place was actually very cool. They had an old barn that you walked right into, and there was a snow owl sleeping. There was a bald eagle, who is unable to fly, about arm's length away. Very neat to see that close. They also had hawks and cranes. The kid's were too excited to really slow down and look at anything but had fun running on the wooden bridges and around the the rocks. They had a playground there that was shaded, and the kids played and played. I had so much fun talking with the other women, and Braelyn had such a great time running around, she was the only older girl and she loves playing with the boys. At the very end some wild turkeys walked into the gate, and I got very nervous but we just made a wide loop around them and I got out okay!

The next week we visited the fire station. I assumed the kids would like seeing the truck and would probably be impressed with the sirens, but I was amazed at how much Braelyn actually learned. They showed a movie that talked about what to do if your house or clothes are on fire, who should call, and how important it is not to play with matches. I assumed this would go over Braelyn's head but she learned so much, and it really opened my eyes to what she is capable of absorbing. We then stepped into the garage and saw a firefighter put on all his gear. He explained what it did, and showed the kids that even though he looked and sounded strange, that he wasn't scary and that they were there to help the kids. Of course they then turned on the lights and sirens and the kids all jumped. They gave them fire hats and coloring books, and Braelyn decided then that she wanted to be a firefighter. This was such a great experience for both me and the girls. I was glad for the opportunity to discuss what might happen in a fire, and how Braelyn can help.


We weren't able to make the week they saw the police station but the next time we joined them at the ambulance. The EMT's brought out their equipment and even put one of the boy's in a c-collar and placed him on the stretcher in the back of the ambulance. Even Berkley was quiet and watched everything they did. Braelyn loved it and still says it was her favorite part of the day. Then they opened up the back and let each of the kid's stand in it and look around. They showed them the o2 monitor and answered any questions. Of course they ended with the sirens and lights and got Berkley screaming. They had 5 ambulances there, and the EMTs were so nice and so warm with the kids. It's good to know who may be there to help if we have an emergency. I think this was such a great experience for Braelyn and would recommend it to any with preschool age kids, as it opened up a way for up to talk about what we would do in an emergency and the kids always love big trucks and lights.

1 comment:

  1. We laugh at how Braelyn pose's when a picture is being taken. She must take after someone.

    ReplyDelete