Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are you ready for some football?

I learned quickly that football here is a big deal, and that I might as well just join in the fun or be left behind.

We were invited for the tailgate by the Van Tassells. They are a family (well more like 5 families) in our ward, who are related to me through my mother's family 2 generations back, and also on my father's side a few back as well. Their grandfather was good friends with my great-grandad, and has been able to share some stories with me. Chris (the mother) told Kevin before I came down, that I didn't need to worry because I had family down here, and they have truly taken that to heart and given us a home here. They are so quick to reach out and make sure we are being taken care of, and are always checking that I'm not too homesick. I'm so grateful to have that here. They have a granddaughter named Gracie, who is Braelyn's age, (but much quieter!) and one night she kept asking them "Where is my cousin Braelyn?" They had to assure her that she could come play at our house so she would stop worrying that she wasn't there.

I couldn't believe how many people were there with their tents, chairs and bbqs. We rode the shuttle and joined them at their spot outside the stadium. Chris knows how to throw a party, all the cups, plates and chairs were matching and Georgia Southern blue, and she had pins for all the kids. Braelyn had picked out her navy tracksuit, and told me it was her football outfit. I still have no idea how she knew it was the right color. We had yummy wings and picnic food, and you always get stuffed when they feed you here. There were lots of other kids that the girls loved playing with, and the little boys get really excited when Kevin shows up, because he always has the energy to run around with them. While we were eating the marching band came through and played some songs for us. The team spirit is really high and when they hear the players arrive, everyone honks their car horns to let them know they are excited. It is contagious and even in the heat, I was having a great time being out of the house.

We had great tickets because one of the coaches gave Kevin his on the 2nd row and 50-yard line, and they have these big grass hills on both ends that the others took the little ones to so they could run around. Georgia Southern's mascot is the eagle so when they brought the flag out during the national anthem, they have a bald eagle who has a beak deformity and can't be released, but they have trained him to fly in over the field. It was really beautiful to hear the music and see the flag waving, then have the eagle fly in.

The game was exciting, though I have never been able to get into football, so most the time I didn't even know who had the ball, but it came down to the last few minutes when GSU kicked a field goal to win. We stayed for the entire game, and the girls were so much better than I thought they would be. Everyone in the seats around us was so great to Berkley and played with her or watched her if she tried to run away. She had the older men laughing and playing peek-a-boo. Braelyn told me that when she grows up she wants to be a football player. I asked her if she wanted to throw the ball, or catch it or tackle, and she energetically replied, "Tackle!" She loved doing the cheers with the crowd, and running around with the little girls. Kevin had fun watching the players and coaches he has been working with, and of course it's football, so he was thrilled. And I have to admit, even I caught a little "Georgia Southern Pride!"
Riding the shuttle to the stadium (Ignore my hair, it hasn't figured out the humidity yet :)
Future Girl's NFL? She's tough enough!
Marching Band & "Majorettes"
Berkley with our "Georgia Grandma" Chris
Will someone finally watch football with him? Only if he brings treats
Cutest little girls- Brae, Mya & Gracie
Kevin's happy with the football, Berks is happy with her treats (and she dumped her water bottle down her shirt, kind of young for a wet t-shirt)
Getting cookies from Kevin
Eagle- "Freedom"
Go Team! Go!
Celebrating the last second win

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like alot of fun. We watched the BYU game on Saturday and was so excited to see them win. Maybe by the time the season is over you will understand alittle about football.

    ReplyDelete