Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Princess Pageant



I saw this thing on TV for a pumpkin princess pageant, and thought Brae would love this. She is so into princesses now and has a lot of their songs and dances memorized. Then I had horrible flashbacks of entering Brae into a baby contest a few years ago, I felt guilty for exploiting her for months after (like she knew what was going on), and nothing brings out the worst in people like judging their kids. But then we found a Snow White dress my mom had made fer us when we were little, and Brae loved wearing, so I figured we would try and make a fun day of it. I also decided that Berkley needed to be her dwarf so I made her a little outfit and hat, and we all headed over to Thanksgiving Point. Once we got there they told us that we got a pass for one adult and child. This only got us into the pageant, she wasn't allowed onto any of the play equipment, and they wanted Kevin to pay $10.50 to just stand and watch her walk across the stage. We were pretty bugged, so Kevin went and spoke with someone, and ended up getting two free passes. He can be very persuasive! Then they made all the little girls line up in this tiny area, while the sponsor went on and on about her clothing store. Bleh, all Brae wanted to do was go play on the stuff, and there were little girls all around us crying. It was almost funny, but once they finally started the first four girls all cried the entire time and one even collapsed in a fit on the stage. I thought Brae might follow suit but true to character as soon as it was her turn, she stepped right up, grabbed the Princes hand and twirled and bowed for everyone. She got a collective "Ah!" but of course didn't win because her costume wasn't pumpkin themed (who even knows what that means). After that she got to play a little then we picked out pumpkins and came home to carve. Overall it was a pretty dumb pageant, but a pretty fun afternoon spent as a family, and that is what was important. I'll definetely have a harder time when she starts understanding winning and losing, but for now it is just about the experience. Poor Berkley was not happy to be in the sun and dressed like a dwarf, so you can hear her crying through the tape Kevin filmed. As usual Kevin can sense when my meltdown is coming on, and he was very helpful, and kept telling me the day was fun, and he was glad we did it. Even though I can think of many things he would have rather done, he is always quick to recognize and compliment my efforts even when things don't go as I plan, and makes me feel better when I start to doubt my mothering choices. We got to carve our pumpkins later that night and Brae was terrified of hers until we told her he was scared to go to bed, then she lovingly put Punkie down for the night in a safe spot. She calls the big one Mike and had to go check on both of them the next morning. *Bonus points if you can tell who the big one is supposed to be!

1 comment:

  1. that actually looks like a lot of fun. What a girls dream! Who knows what a pumpkin princess is? Would have loved to see what the winner was dressed as.

    ReplyDelete